Rc.13 Implementing Performance Indicators (PINDICS) of Teachers at Elementary Level in Telangana. Proc.Rc.No.13/SSA/T6/2014 Dated : 18.08.2014. The SPD has issued orders for Implementation of Performance Indicators (PINDICS) of Teachers prepared by NCERT and communicated by TSG-EDCIL in the Elementary Level School in Telangana State. These PINDICS are used to assess the performance and Progress of Teachers periodically.
Rc.13 Implementing Performance Indicators (PINDICS) of Teachers at Elementary LevelAll the Project Officers, Sarva Shiksha Abhyian in the Telangana State are informed that NCERT has designed the performance Indicators (PINDICS) to assess the performance and progress of teachers periodically.
- It consists of Performance Standards (PS), specific standards and performance indicators.
- In this context, all the POs are informed that these indicators are based on the provisions in Sections 24,29 and the schedule specifying norms and standards for schools in the RTE Act 2009, NCF-2005 and SSA Framework-2011. These PINDICS have to be used by the teachers as self assessment of performance and can be used for the teacher appraisal by the supervisory staff to assess and to provide constructive feedback for the improvement of the teacher performance.
- In view of the above, all the POs, SSA in the state are hereby instructed to take necessary steps in the implementation of the PINDICS in the schools for every teacher by making available PINDICS format at each school point either by printing the PINDICS formats as per norms at district level or by keeping the formats in district official website and instruct the School HMs to download the formats and appraise the performance of the teachers as per the guidelines given in the formats. The printing cost of formats shall be borne from the Management cost of the DPO.
- For implementation of performance indicators, two sets are designed, one set is at school level complex
- a) The importance of PINDICS,
b) Procedure for use of PINDICS,
c) Teacher information
d) Performance indicators
e) Teacher performance to be completed by Head Master,
f) Consolidation sheet to be filled by Head Master.
- The second set includes the above components mentioned in Set - I and consolidated sheet at School complex level and at mandal level to be filled by school complex HM and MEOs respectively.
- Further the DPOs are also requested to take necessary steps to keep the record of the PINDICS of every teacher in the school and has to be appraised by School HM, School complex HM and MEO periodically for every three months. The same information of performance of each teacher have to be furnished in QMT tools under SMF - part-c for every quarter duly preserving the filled in PINDICS formats of each teacher at school level for further use / check.
What is PINDICS - Guidelines
Performance Indicators (PINDICS) are used to assess the performance and progress of teachers. It consists of performance standards (PS), specific standards and performance indicators. Performance standards are the areas in which teachers perform their tasks and responsibilities. Under performance standards there are some specific tasks which are expected to be performed by the teachers. These are termed as specific standards. From specific standards performance indicators have been derived.
- Performance Standards (PS)
- Performance Standards communicate expectations for each responsibility area of the job performance. The following performance standards have been identified.
- Designing Learning Experiences for Children
- Knowledge and Understanding of Subject matter
- Strategies for Facilitating Learning
- Interpersonal Relationship
- Professional Development
- School Development
- Teacher Attendance
Use of PINDICSPINDICS can be used by teachers themselves for assessing their own performance and to make continuous efforts to reach the highest level. These can also be used for teacher appraisal by the supervisory staff/mentor to assess and to provide constructive feedback for the improvement of teacher performance. Each performance indicator is rated on four point scale ranging from 1 to 4 indicating the levels of performance. The rating points are:
1. Not meeting the expected standard 2. Approaching the expected standardIf the teacher performs tasks in an innovative way and makes extra efforts for improving student performance can be rated as beyond the expected standard.
3. Approached the expected standard 4. Beyond the expected standard
Guidelines for teachers
- Self-assessment by the teacher should be done for every quarter in a year. Complete the teacher identification information on page 1.
- No item should be left blank
- Read each performance indicator carefully and reflect on it in the context of your classroom practice and give rating point in appropriate box.
- Place yourself on a point on the four point scale according to your performance against each indicator.
- Work out total score on the performance standard (area) by adding scores on each indicator of the standard.
- Prepare a descriptive report on the basis of your assessment. The report may also include the areas in which help is required.
Guidelines for (HM) Head Teacher/CRCC (School complex HM) /MRCC (MEO)
- Assessment by Head Teacher/CRCC (School complex HM)/MRCC (MEO) should be carried out twice in a year keeping in view following points.
- Use teacher’s self-assessment record
- Observe actual classroom processes
- Have dialogue with teachers, students and SMC members to supplement teacher’s report
- Prepare a descriptive report based on self-observation and report collected from the teacher
- Discuss the report with the teacher concerned to improve his/her level of performance
- Link information from teacher’s assessment using PINDICS with information about student attendance, curriculum coverage and student learning outcomes from Quality Monitoring Tools (QMTs)
- Complete Teacher Performance Sheet and Consolidation Sheet - CRC level for onward transmission to BRC.